Friday, March 17, 2017

On Some Days That Suck

I haven't been home for three months. The moment the lines were out, my free time that was supposed to be for kdrama slash tvd marathon, was spent scrolling and searching for legal crews to trade my flights with just so I can spend time in my hometown for at least more than a week. Believe me, it may seem just searching and asking and informal agreement, but trading your flights has got to be more than that. Not to mention, the stress of waiting for the result only to be rejected for overtime cost (If anyone of you feels me, well I know... we all feel each other the same).

After successfully having consecutive 12 days off, (which meant, I'll be spending 10 days in my hometown, ) came the stress of everyday flights with just minimum rest in between. It has and always be the consequence of longer days off and I was more than willing for it as It meant more than a week off with my family.

Two weeks had passed and i was finally on my last flight as operating before I'll be flying as passenger. Suitcase and trolley were all packed. Reported for work with my ordinary clothes underneath my uniform. Easy two legs, I thought. It will be done before I knew it. Boarding was finished and I was securing my galley, eagerly waiting for the purser's announcement to close and arm all doors for departure. Ten, fifteen, forty, an hour had passed and the boarding door was still open with maintenance coming in and out of the aircraft. Turned out there was a malfunction that the maintenance need to fix first before we can go on with our flight. We were delayed for three hours. THREE. FREAKING. HOURS.  I was positive i wouldnt catch my flight. After we're done with service on the first leg, I got this unexpected call from the business class crew that the flight deck was requesting my presence. Went inside the cockpit with full curiosity then came back to my galley with full positivism. They made me believe I can make it. My colleagues as well, were just as hopeful as I was.

We landed back in Riyadh exactly an hour before my departure time. I was running for my life. The bus drivers too, were driving above the normal speed as though my adrenaline had been passed onto them.
I arrived in the airport in the middle of the boarding time. I could easily just go straight ahead as I already checked in myself more than ten hours before my flight; but the problem was my luggage. Checked in luggage had already been loaded in the aircraft and the load was already submitted to the captain.

It took a couple of minutes for everything to sink in - the fact that I had to book and pay for a new ticket from Riyadh to Manila and another one with 40kgs baggage allowance from Manila to Zamboanga. More than the wasted money, what crushed me the most was the one day that I lost - the same one day that I put my effort on to have it.

With all my luggage, faded make-up, and all by myself, I sat there, burst into tears with my boyfriend on the other line of the phone wondering what the hell happened with me. With his calm and soothing voice, he convinced me to pull myself together and do something productive instead of just sitting there and death staring at every ground personnel I see. It was a childish thing to do, really. But forgive me, for in that moment, frustration won over my senses.

Still with my heels on, pulling my 40kgs luggage and a big disappointment in my face, I went into the ticketing office and asked them if they could kindly rebook my ticket for the soonest Manila flight. I felt the need to release the bad energy so I related to them why I was not able to catch my flight in the first place. One man said that I had no other choice but to pay for a new ticket, while the other one - made calls, talked with someone, sent an email to the concerned department - as he believed I wouldn't have missed my flight if it wasn't for my duty with the same company.We waited for more than an hour and alhamdulillah they reopened my ticket which only meant I paid not a single saudi riyal.

For the first time within the day, I felt like all the negative vibes were slowly released in my system. Hoping to relax and get some hours of rest, I went back home along with my things. Needless to say, As I showed my company ID to the gate operator as a standard procedure, he then opened the main gate, the one used for four-wheel vehicles just so I wouldn't have a hard time lifting and pulling off my luggage. Contrary to my death stare with the airport ground personnel, I responded to him with gratitude plus the widest smile that I can manage.

As of the moment, I'm here in domestic terminal in Manila waiting for my boarding time for Zamboanga in just about 55 minutes from now :-)

You see, some days have got to suck. And as cliche as it may sound, there is always something good in every day.
The captains and my colleagues, the ground staff cleaner, bus drivers, ticketing office personnel, gate operator, never ending consolation of my boyfriend and family - them and the little effort they went through for me were indeed the best part of my day. So with everything that happened, Alhamdulillah still :)

PS. Say hi to my new domain ( <3 In case you are wondering why, well, first -  my previous domain was so much like Charmaine's ( and there was really no intention in me and I just realized two days ago. Second -  because I constantly get this error that my domain was no longer parked by Godaddy. Annoying level x 100.  Really, guys, if ever you plan on having one, buy at namecheap instead.


  1. I feel you rhan, that "lupa, langit and all saints tabang" in my mind was extremely exhausting plus "the killer stare with matching pouty lip" haha funny though. had almost the same scenario but as sabar and positivity occupied your mind, well, everything make things right and All comes in the right place again. chin up walk like you where trained (Victoria's angels like haha) Those where the days. Alhamdulilah you arrived safe and sound. Regards to ur mom and fat. -jenny

    1. Yes, Alhamdulillah nakasakay ako sa next flight hihi they said regards to u as well <3

  2. I would have to agree -- there are just days when you don't feel fine and everything feels like shit. But I'm glad that you were able to turn that around and look at this experience in a more positive note. :) Cheers!


  3. I'm happy you're back Rania! I love your new domain, very catchy and easy to remember. I'm glad that they allowed you to catch your flight without paying extra charges. I can't blame you, I might also feel the same way if ever such unfortunate event happened to me too. I can imagine the excitement you felt about going home and then all of a sudden, it couldn't push through cos you were stuck in duty. I felt relieved on the last part of this post. :) "there is always something good in every day." I agree, and it wouldn't be cliche for nothing.

    Hope to read more of your posts!

    1. Thanks Dianne <3 I'm happy I'm back too. really missed the blogging world!